Wednesday, January 29, 2014

thing the second | mobile device tips

Thing 2 was to watch some general tips about iOS7 features. I watched the videos for both the iPad and iPhone.

My iPad stays at home, often not leaving my bedside, so I don't do a great deal of what I'd consider "advanced" things with it -- mostly just newsfeeds, Facebook, checking the weather in the morning, the occasional ebook and web browsing. It's also first-generation, so (at least as far as I can tell) I'm unable to upgrade to iOS7 and use many of the spiffy new features.

My iPhone, on the other hand, goes everywhere (except the dinner table!) and is used for pretty much everything. The iOS7 feature that was highest on my wishlist? Time stamps for texts! Hallelujah! I also appreciate having unlimited apps in a folder, because I'm unhappy if my apps are not organized just so. I'm intrigued by Siri's capabilities, but I have to admit that isn't how I search for anything and I never interact with Siri at all.

Having sung some praises of iOS7, I should also mention that they changed a feature that worked well into something that, for me, no longer works at all. Previously, if you double-clicked the Home button while in lock screen, you could bring up audio controls, and pause/unpause at will. I could even do this while wearing thin gloves during winter. In iOS7, double-clicking does nothing, and you can bring up audio controls only by swiping up from the very bottom of the screen. Add a case and winter gloves, and I can no longer control audio without a bit of hassle because I can't reach the very bottom of the screen. Annoying.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Julia! I'm so happy you're participating in 23 Mobile Things. You're right. Minnesota winters (especially a cold one like this year) make touch screens so much trickier.

    I love the blog name you settled on. 'ever julia' has a nice ring to it.

    I can't wait to hear about what else you've been learning!

    -Kaia, 23 Mobile Things

    ReplyDelete