Thursday, April 10, 2014

thing the seventh | content saving & sharing

Pinterest iconNo new download required for the first app here -- I'm already a user of Pinterest! I'm not the obsessive stay-up-all-night-pinning type, more of a copycat pinner, letting my friends do all the work searching out the cool and useful stuff that I just swoop in and repin like a Pinterest ninja. Pinterest has some practical applications for libraries -- ideas for programming, displays, visual book lists, etc. I also use it to collect bathroom humor (no, not that kind) for the staff restroom in my library. To bring a little levity into what is otherwise a professional workplace, we collectively post humorous (and often library-related) memes on the restroom wall. Searching the "humor" category on Pinterest is a great way to find some of these gems, but whether this could be considered a "professional" application of is debatable!

bitlyAt first glance, I'm not entirely sure what Bitly is supposed to do for me. It appears to be a way to manage bookmarks, as well as access them universally, a service which Chrome already provides to me. To test it I hit the '+' and entered a URL, but it just kept spinning and spinning, never ultimately doing anything with what I had input. Since this was my first and only experience with the Bitly app, I'm not terribly impressed. Pass.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Julia! You've been blogging up a storm. Thanks for all the great posts. A lot of 23 Mobile Things participants are already big Pinterest users, so you are in good company. I also really liked your "iPad to the Rescue" posts. I'm glad to see you're thinking of ways to keep using the iPad in your work.

    Don't forget to email 23 Mobile Things (minn23@gmail.com) to get your badge for completing 5 Things.

    -Kaia, 23 Mobile Things Coach

    ReplyDelete